Fd to ef mounting???

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Sittatunga Senior Member • Posts: 2,946
Re: Fd to ef mounting???

Ben Guss wrote:

Thanks for the detailed response! I believe I was following your instructions however when I try to secure secured lens with the rotating locking mechanism containing the Red Dot on the lens it will not engage into the locking position as it seems blocked by the adapter.

If you have access to an FD or FL mount camera you can check whether it's the adapter or the lens that's the problem by seeing if that lens will mount to the camera.

I don't know how familiar you are with FD mount lenses, but there's a description of how they work in this thread from a couple of years ago here: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/61140873

While that thread is specially about the New FD lenses, the controls have exactly the same effect and the camera can't tell the difference.

This is a picture of my chrome ring FD lens ready to be mounted on my FD to EF-M adapter. The silver locating stud between the chrome ring and the date code fits in the slot in the bayonet lug of the adapter where the small red dot is.

Offering up the lens to the adapter, just before the chrome ring is released to rotate and lock the lens to the adapter. The post I referred to earlier has pictures of the inside of the adapter showing the positions of the basis control levers. Don't use the adapted lens with the aperture ring in this A position as that's the position used by the A and T series cameras to mechanically set the aperture from the camera body. You would just get the minimum aperture of the lens of you used it like this on an adapter.

Pushed home and the chrome ring has automatically rotated this far. It still needs to be tightened, but the lens won't fall off the adapter like this.

Troubleshooting.

The control ring on the adapter does need to be rotated fully clockwise as seen from behind the adapter before you mount the lens. If you don't do this, either the lens won't seat properly so the lock ring won't rotate or the prong to move the stop-down lever will be on the wrong side to move it. The bayonet lugs might be too thick or too close to the camera body, which could stop the ring moving, but that's unlikely. If anything they tend to be too thin, which isn't usually a problem as the ring just moves a little further to tighten up. The lens mating surface behind the lugs of the lock ring might be filthy, preventing the lens from mounting properly, but in that case it wouldn't mount to a film SLR camera either. The lock ring might be dented, bit it looked ok in your pictures. Canon lenses have a leaf spring just by the locating stud which locks the chrome ring in the mounting position. You can unlock it with a thumbnail to check that the ring moves freely - don't forget to lock it again before you try to mount the lens.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow