Is there a need for a 100mp camera in the world of Gigapixel Ai?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Rob de Loe
Rob de Loe Contributing Member • Posts: 891
Re: Is there a need for a 100mp camera in the world of Gigapixel Ai?

That's an intriguing question. Obviously the GFX 100 file has to be much better than an uprezzed GFX 50R file, right?

How about this as a way to explore? Head over to Imaging Resources and grab comparable Fuji GFX 50R and Fuji GFX 100 RAFs. To be comparable, they should be the same scene, same lens, same aperture, same ISO.

Here for example are links to files I used (ISO 100, f/8, GF 63/2.8).

https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/fuji-gfx-50r/GFXRhSLI000100NR1.RAF.HTM

https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/fuji-gfx-100/GFX100hSLI000100NR5D.RAF.HTM

I imported both into Lightroom (default settings, no edits), and then exported them straight away as full resolution TIFF files, both 11,648 in the long dimension. That leaves the GFX 100 file alone, and uprezzes the GFX 50R file to the same dimensions as a GFX 100 file.

I then viewed both files side-by-side in Photoshop. A few things I noticed:

• The 50R aliased where the 100 did not (no surprise there)
  • On the fabric part of the scene, the uprezzed 50R file is better (a lot better to my eye). That was surprising. Is this an "operator trouble" problem in the GFX 100 shot?
  • Overall, I'd call it a wash.

Something else this quick test confirmed for me is that Lightroom does a really good job of uprezzing 50R files to match the size of GFX 100 files. I'm impressed. Last year I tried Gigapixel AI and compared the results to Lightroom; I thought Lightroom did a better job without the hokey pokey introduced by Gigapixel AI -- but that's another story.

I tried one more comparison where the GFX 100 would surely blow the 50R out of the water: uprezzing both to 23,296 x17,472 pixels. This should be no contest.... Fuji GFX 100 file kills GFX 50R. Right?

I look forward to hearing from someone who can tell me why that didn't turn out to be the case with these two files.

I wasn't in the market for a GFX 100S. This quick comparison certainly didn't push me in that direction. If anything, I'm even happier with my 50R.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rbf
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow