Part II--the possible release of the 90mp R5s

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ADW02 Regular Member • Posts: 428
Part II--the possible release of the 90mp R5s

In my first post I wondered if it might be possible for Canon to develop a photo-only camera body that had the guts of the R5, but not the video, in the hopes that such a camera might be sold at a lower price than the R5. The overwhelming opinions of respondents was that such a camera would never see the light of day. And that brings me to Part II--the supposedly-impending release of the 90mp R5s (which is what most people are calling it).

If the talk over at Canon Rumors is any indication, I get the feeling that this may truly be a camera devoted to photographers only. If I've read correctly it seems that video will not be included, and that the price will be similar to the R5s, probably somewhere around $4,000 USD.

If prices are indeed the same between these two models, there must be some sharp differences between them to ensure sales of both units. Besides stripping away video capabilities from the R5s, in what other way will the R5 be more appealing than the 5Rs to make sure that its sales don't suffer? I'm guessing that frames-per-second will be noticeably less on the R5s than the R5, and Image Stabilization may not be as refined, if it's included at all. And the R5s may not have as many focus points, and may not have the ability to be guided by the viewer's eye.

My thinking might be wrong here, but I wonder if the R5s would be a camera mostly devoted to landscape/cityscape and Nature photographers, while the R5 would mostly be appealing to sports, wedding and newspaper photographers.

I don't think we'll find the answers to these questions in 2021, due to the worldwide pandemic, but I think the early Spring of 2022 might bring some interesting news.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow