Is there a need for a 100mp camera in the world of Gigapixel Ai?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Macro guy
Macro guy Veteran Member • Posts: 5,381
Is there a need for a 100mp camera in the world of Gigapixel Ai?

As some of you know, I have been on the fence about getting the Fuji 100mp camera.  The original GFX100 was too expensive, and too bulky for me.  I'm still mulling the GFX100S, but I'm waiting for the Canon high res camera to come out.  Quite frankly, if the GFX 100S had the interface of the 50s and the high res viewfinder, I probably would have pulled the trigger.  As it is, I'm still mulling things...

So, while mulling things, I've been playing with the Gigapixel AI, resizing my images to 84mp effectively (I know, it's not real 84mp).  So, while playing with it, I became pretty confused. The resized images look terrific, even at 100%, I can't tell the difference between the resized and the original files.  So, one would think, what's there to be confused about?  If Gigapixel AI works for you, you don't need a high res camera.  That would be true, except I don't have a high res camera to compare the results to.  I don't know what I'm missing with a higher res camera vs Gigapixel AI.
If anyone has any thoughts about this, I'm all ears.  You can look at my gallery to see the type of work that I do.

Macro guy's gear list:Macro guy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rbf
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow