Changing the Colour of the Focus Box

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
BaldEgo Regular Member • Posts: 190
Changing the Colour of the Focus Box

Hi. Flower, garden and macro photography is one of hobbies. I find myself spending a lot of time on my knees (and, sometimes, stomach) with my Z7 in portrait mode very close to the ground which makes it impossible to use the viewfinder. One of the frustrations I have in this position is that I often loose track of the red focus box  on the LCD screen before I can acquire focus (and it turns green) because I find it is really difficult to see in daylight compared to the other colours of the focus box that Canon, Fuji, and Panasonic use. I've tried centering the focus box on the LCD screen and then moving the focus point with the joystick but it is still very difficult to see accurately. Of course, this would be alleviated with a LCD screen that flips or tilts vertically but Nikon hasn't implemented this feature and isn't likely to in the near future. I've tried shooting in landscape mode with the LCD flipped down and then cropping but this isn't ideal from a composition point of view for me.

So, I have two questions:

1. Is it possible to change the colour of the focus box on Z Series cameras? I haven't found anything in the documentation that indicates that this is a customizable option.
  2. Assuming the answer is "no" to Question 1, how have people worked around this limitation, given the scenario I've described above?

Thanks, in advance, for your thoughts.

BaldEgo's gear list:BaldEgo's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Canon EOS R5 Fujifilm X-S10 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +10 more
Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow