* The Weekly Image Thread 21 02 24 #534 *

Started 2 months ago | Photos thread
softmarmotte
softmarmotte Senior Member • Posts: 2,369
Re: Ashworth Moor

Lovely images of a beautiful area. you've captured the essence really well, dave

i would hold you up for saying manctown is famous for 2 football clubs. there is one football club and bunch of red hooligans

i have a bit of a problem with the careful yorkshire folk as i am half...

Valderdave wrote:

Stopped on the tops at a famous old pub called "Owd Betts"- Owd being local dialect for "old" and "Bett" being a shortened name from Elizabeth. The pub was shut it was early morning also.

Built in 1796 by the Ashworth family the building was passed to their son John and his wife Betty in the mid 1800's. During this time it was an Inn out on its own on top of the moors. After John passed away in 1869, Betty continued to run the inn alone - it was during this time that it became known locally as "Owd Betts". It is a well known landmark - the road is often closed by snow. A few photos showing the outlook from the property which still operates - covid permitting - as a pub and restaurant.

In the distance you can see Peel Tower which is just above the village where we live. Its on top of the dark hill in the distance.

Moving left looking over the centre of Deepley Vale reservoir towards Manchester famous for City and United - you would see it on a clear day but the morning mist is hiding the distance.

Left again still the reservoir is in shot - this would look towards Yorkshire - pour ancient enemies who manage even to borrow money off the Scots!

Hope you enjoyed the quick tour.

-- hide signature --

anyone is welcome to do anything they want with my images except sell them for profit
https://www.flickr.com/photos/softmarmotte/

softmarmotte's gear list:softmarmotte's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow