Exposure on Nikon F3

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Giovanni_1968
OP Giovanni_1968 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,282
Re: Exposure on Nikon F3

Overrank wrote:

If you haven’t seen it already this is the manual for the F3 - https://cdn-10.nikon-cdn.com/pdf/manuals/archive/F3.pdf

The meter on the F3 is biased 80:20 to the 12mm circle in the viewfinder, which means you can get slightly different readings than for a 60:40 meter in other Nikons. Personally, in most cases I just set the shutter speed to A and use it as a aperture priority automatic. With negative film the exposure is pretty much spot on in most cases.

Remember that meters differ depending on their calibration and age, that shutter speeds are rarely 100% accurate, and that even the aperture itself may not be 100%. But it nearly always comes out in the wash.

I guess I will have to send the negative to develop soon and figure it out myself, the old trial and error technique... unfortunately here where I live nobody does it any longer and as such have to wait to be able to get onto the mainland bla bla bla

By the way I always shoot A so I leave the camera the duty to pick an adequate shutter speed.

I was reading, with regards to the film being used that it can be "pushed" to ISO80 rather than 100, I assume but am probably wrong, that it is suitable as to get more detail into the shadows whilst the emulsion can kind of resist excessive highlight, might that be the case?

Grazie

-- hide signature --

Giovanni - 70% GAS affected
http://www.flickr.com/photos/giovanniaprea/
Nikon D850 - Nikon D800 - Nikon D2Xs - Fuji S5Pro - Nikon F - Nikon F3
J.A. Michell Gyrodec - Audio Research SP-9 - Aeron AP-890 - JBL4311B - JBL L220
JN70CN - 14.14.30E 40.32.40N

Giovanni_1968's gear list:Giovanni_1968's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D2Xs Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow