A Bit More on X-T4 Focus Inconsistency

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MisterHairy Senior Member • Posts: 2,520
A Bit More on X-T4 Focus Inconsistency

Hi all

I have posted in a couple of discussions on here regarding the intermittent fallibility that I and others are experiencing with Fuji's current batch of X mount cameras - in my case, this predominantly means my X-T4.

One such thread was started by a poster who presented images where his own X-T4 camera had failed to focus on high contrast areas on the distant horizon in a number of shots and respondents were quick to question why one would ever wish to do such a thing.

Here's a different type of example that I took today of a test scene that I use often to assess field curvature of new lenses. There are four obvious and contrasty points up through the centre line of the scene, at increasing distances from the camera, on which I can set focus and assess how lens field curvature can assist with keeping an entire scene like this in sharp focus.

So, this is the venerable XF 35mm f/1.4 prime lens and it was stopped down to f/8 and the point of focus was placed at the top centre of the lock gates in the middle of the picture. The camera was in AF-S mode, single AF point at the smallest possible size and it reported that it was in focus and I was able to take the shot with shutter release set to focus priority (and AF + MF set to off). I took fifty shots today (a lot for me) and of those, almost ten show this kind of disappointing AF performance.

This is not a distant horizon and if the tops of the gates are not of sufficiently high contrast for the AF system, why would it report successful focus rather than telling me that it was unable to focus on the selected point? Nothing looks to be in sharp focus in this image. My X-T2 would have nailed this shot every time. So would my Sony and Nikon cameras. Literally every time. My X-T4 is the only camera I have (or have used in the last seven years or so) that can fail on this type of shot yet still believe that it has been successful in locking focus.

As far as I can see, nothing is in focus in this shot. Nothing. I would expect the 35/1.4 to get most of the scene in acceptably sharp focus when focusing at that distance (if it actually had).

I would have no compunction over sending this camera to Fuji to fix but I am seeing a growing number of people indicating similar issues with their AF so is this expected performance or not? If it is what people are used to seeing occasionally from the current generation of Fuji X mount cameras then there is not much point sending it in.

To be clear, I am only canvassing opinion on whether this is Fuji standard these days - not on the artistic merit of the shot (it has none) or even a lesson on how to focus in a scene. This was a test of the camera's AF, plain and simple. Many thanks in advance!

RAF file exported from Lightroom to Photoshop and then saved as a jpeg from there.

-- hide signature --

It is easier to speak three languages than it is to use three camera systems with any degree of proficiency.

MisterHairy's gear list:MisterHairy's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Nikon Z7 Sony a7R IV Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm X-T4 +27 more
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rlx
rlx
rlx
rlx
rlx
rlx
rlx
rlx
rlx
rlx
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow