Need advice on camera with lenses for aquarium/terrarium filming

Started Feb 22, 2021 | Discussions thread
dlevitt Senior Member • Posts: 1,104
Re: Need advice on camera with lenses for aquarium/terrarium filming

Mieszko wrote:

From macro shots or there around to about 1 meter/ meter and a half away from the subject, since amphibians arent that big or to get a view of the terrarium/pond they are in.

Can I do this with one lense only?

You should be able to do this kind of shooting with a bridge camera - I have done this with my ancient Panasonic FZ-50 bridge camera.

For interchangeable lens cameras, I would look at the available lenses, before selecting a system.

Suitable 'full frame' lenses may not leave much in you budget for the camera body.

Applying my research [and prejudice ] I would recommend one of two options:

* A FZ1000 mark 2  bridge camera, supplemented by an add on close up lens [less than $1000]

* Micro 4/3 body, 'pro' grade zoom, and macro lens [about $2000 for the fanciest options]

A fancy [and weather sealed] kit might include

• Panasonic G9 body
  • Panasonic/Leica 12-60 f/2.8-4 zoom 
  • Olympus 60mm f/2.8 Macro

Currently, the Panasonic G9, Olympus OMD EM5 mark3 or EM1 mark 2 bodies are selling for about the same price.

The 'Pro' level normal range zooms [Panasonic 12-35 & 12-60; Olympus 12-40 & 12-45] are not true 1:1 macro, but will focus quite closely. [about one third life size]. You may find little need for a dedicated macro lens, unless your subjects are quite small.

-- hide signature --

Save the Earth! Collect the entire set!

dlevitt's gear list:dlevitt's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow