Oly e-m1, legacy lens help...

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
retro_OLY_jon New Member • Posts: 5
Oly e-m1, legacy lens help...

I’ve been away from photography for a while, but our recent bout of solitary confinement has prompted me to try and pick it up again. I was never really very good at it but played around with an early DSLR system some 18 years ago.

After a bit of research, I’ve picked up a second hand OM-D E-M1 (Mk. 1), just to see if I can get pack into the whole thing, figuring I can upgrade to a more recent model if it catches on. I found a cheap package deal including a bunch of lenses and a lot of basic accessories. Everything is working and I’m slowly picking it all up again.

However...

The set included the neat sounding Oly. Digital 70-300 mm, 4-5.6 ED lens (a 4/3 mount, with an M4/3 adapter). At a glance it seems to function perfectly well, but I'm having trouble getting it to extend to all the way to 300.

When the zoom ring is turned fully (i.e. to the 300 mark), it moves completely smoothly – but only to just past 150 (precisely to the 1:6 mark) - even when not mounted. The camera seems to register this as being maximum extension and happily reports the focal length as 300 mm.

Thinking this might be some sort of range finder issue, I discovered that in auto-focus mode, when pointing the camera to the sky I could get the lens to extend all the way out, and with a little luck stay out. Then basically moving the camera around, trying to find anything that wasn’t a complete blur, I accidentally found a sharp focus – about 3 feet away.

The results are some very cool macros of the flowerpots, with beautifully  shallow depth of field – but this felt more like a fortunate gear hack than the intended use.

So – am I wrong in thinking that this isn’t completely normal? Should the lens not just zoom out to 300 when prompted? Is this common when adapting legacy gear or is it caused by some obscure camera setting that I haven’t figured out yet (converting the focal range somehow)? Or could this be caused by a cheap adapter and/or a buggy lens?

Thanks

Jon

retro_OLY_jon's gear list:retro_OLY_jon's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow