If you can start again...

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
newnorm
newnorm Forum Member • Posts: 99
If you can start again...

Hi, I'm intrigued to know what you would tell yourself at the beginning of investing in your precious lens collections. I know it's different from photographer to photographer depending on the type of shoot, but it would be great to know. Perhaps one of the discussion points might help somebody who's on the verge of spending their hard-earned money. There is no right or wrong, just what suits you the best and which you think you shouldn't buy in the first place.

You know, we all might have spent quite a fortune on photography-related stuff, so it's plenty of lessons we can share.

I will start first. I'm a prime lens user since I began shooting many years ago. So the lens collection has since grown and reduced, but if I can start all over again, I would settle with only three primary lenses (not including backups).

1. 50mm f1.4 when I want to go light.
  2. 24-70 f2.8 for everything else.
  3. 70-200 f2.8 when I want a telephoto, compressed shot.

I learnt that I don't often need to go wider than 24mm, and I don't always need f1.4 that good quality primes offer. The longer I shoot, the more I realized f2.8 is more than enough for me.

What about you?

FWIW, I shoot mainly portraits and fine arts.

-- hide signature --

A picture is worth a thousand words.

newnorm's gear list:newnorm's gear list
Apple iPhone 3G
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
(unknown member)
MOD Smaug01
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow