How to calculate amount of crop between focal lengths to calculate resolution difference

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Lccy New Member • Posts: 3
How to calculate amount of crop between focal lengths to calculate resolution difference

Hello

I am looking to purchase a Xiaomi mi 11 because it has a 27mp effective main camera compared to 12-12.5mp effective of other flagship smartphones.

The issue I have as with all other phones is that the main lens keeps getting wider and wider to shoehorn bigger sensors and wider apertures, for example the s21 ultra is now 24mm equiv compared to the 26mm equiv on the S20 ultra.

The mi 11 has gotten wider to a 25mm equivalent, whereas although the mate 40 has a 23mm lens, it somehow crops and outputs 27mm equivalent images, the pixel 4/5 stick with 27mm as well, whereas apple and the rest are 26mm equivalent.

Since the mi 11 is 27mp, it has 1.5x more linear resolution than the 12mp sensors, 6000x4500 compared to 4000x3000 of the 12mp sensors.

My question is how much of an increase in theoretical resolution can I gain from the mi 11 compared to the 27mm mate 40 despite the wider fov if they were both shot in the exact same position.

I know there are lots of other factors available such as lighting, shutter speed, lens quality etc, but just to keep things simple.

Thanks

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow