The quality of lenses on the M6 II

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
prospects Regular Member • Posts: 257
Re: Ha-ha... Quite the opposite is true

nnowak wrote:

thunder storm wrote:

nnowak wrote:

thunder storm wrote:

Fuji aps-c competes well against other aps-c systems as it comes to performance.

When it comes to price it competes against full frame systems..... and looses the performance game there. A simple RP + 24-105 f/4.0 L combo is all what's needed to win as it comes to standard zooms.

The lens, yes. The body, no.

In good light the RP has the advantage.

In what way? The RP has a major dynamic range deficit at low ISO's.

RP vs R vs X-T3 dynamic range

And the R is available for 1700 euro new these days...

And the X-T3 was $999 recently. Older cameras get discounts. What's your point?

And if I want to replace an f/2.8 standard zoom on the RP for a Fuji aps-c equivalent, what am I going to do? Adapt a sigma 18-35mm f/1.8? Not as sharp, less range, and that sigma focuses better even on an M200 or M50 (you know, that sh*tty M-system)

At least that Sigma would be stabilized on the Fuji system.

Yep, but your IQ will suffer.

Suffer in what way? It would look no worse than being adapted to a M body.

And with what should I replace the sigma 50mm & 105mm f/1.4 Art? The Samyang 50mm f/1.2 XP? The budget RP can handle these lenses. For all Fuji aps-c cameras there's no equivalence. All you can get is f/1.2 on aps-c. That's f/1.8 equivalence for the RP.

Fuji also has a 50mm f/1.0 that would be equivalent to f/1.5 on full frame.

1600 euro, and still that 700 euro RF Samyang will beat it.....

You are comparing a budget third party lens to a weather sealed OEM lens. The Canon EF 85mm f/1.4 is currently $100 more expensive than the Fuji.

If the priority is budget third party lenses, the Sony E mount completely blows away any mirrorless mount from Canon, Fuji, or Nikon

So.... buy a Fuji 56mm f/1.2 slap it on a great Fuji camera. Or buy a Sigma 85mm f/1.4, slap it on an RP, and stop it down till f/1.8. RP wins. And that's even without bringing on the big RF f/1.2 guns.

If you want the ultimate shallow depth of field, I am not sure what RF mount lens will match the Fuji 200mm f/2.0.

You can always make a phone call if you want another pose? And why should we rule out EF lenses?

Not sure how they do it, but a professional portrait photography was shooting images for Vogue with this lens.

As for adapting EF glass, adapting lenses always comes with compromises. Whether it is size, weight, ergonomics, or performance, adapted lenses are always at a disadvantage to native mirrorless glass. If you open Pandora's box of adapted lenses, where do you draw the line? Only OEM lenses on an OEM adapter? Any lenses, so long as AF and IS are maintained? Any lens on any adapter, even old manual focus glass? Sony, Nikon, Fuji, Olympus, and Panasonic can adapt both Canon and Nikon glass and maintain AF/IS. I don't think I have seen any fully electronic adapters for adapting anything other than EF glass to EF-M or RF.

To bulky? RP + RF Samyang 85mm f/1.4 stopped down till f/1.8 should do as well. The RF 85mm f/2.0 will give a little less blur, however, it will easily beat the Fuji at it's equivalent of f/2.0.

Based on Alastair's samples, the Sigma 56mm f/1.4 beats the RF 85mm f/2.0.

Probably for bokeh, but you'll need full res samples to draw a conclusion on sharpness.

As a portrait lens, I would happily trade a little sharpness for cleaner bokeh.

I didn't test the sigma 56mm on 32Mp yet, however, I do know the RF 85mm f/2.0 at f/2.2 easily beats the ef-m 32mm f/1.4 wide open. I don't think the sigma 56mm beats the 32mm.

And let's not bring up the performance of the RF 50mm f/1.8.

So yeah, Canon wins.

Does it? You are currently running dual EF-M and RF systems. One for size and one for performance. As you have just pointed out above, Fuji can get really close to matching full frame equivalence/performance. That same Fuji body can also mount a tiny lens like the 27mm f/2.8 that is lighter than any EF-M lens.

A little lens and a little sensor doesn't make your body compact.

The new X-E4 is smaller and lighter than the M6 II, and it includes a built-in EVF

Sure, some of the Canon lens equivalents are less expensive than the Fuji options, but you needed the R and the M6 II to access all of those lenses.

No. I don't need the M system. The RF system is good enough, and it competes on both price and performance.

Third party E mount glass is a far better value. Those Sigma and Tamron E mount f/2.8 zooms are cheaper than most manufacturers f/4 zooms.

Fuji isn't a compact system anyway.

Looks pretty compact to me.

As for pricing, the Fuji kit pictured above is $1049. The M6 II body is $849, plus $249 for the 22mm and that doesn't include an EVF.

Basically, the massive gulf created by Canon's overzealous EF-M/RF market segmentation is right where the Fuji system lives.

I agree with you there's more segmentation than needed. I do not agree Fuji comes close to full frame performance. A 1600 euro 50mm f/1.0 lens on aps-c is pretty bad value for money as it comes to performance wide open.

As a single lens, it might not make sense. As part of a system, it makes perfect sense. A roughly equivalent 85mm f/1.4 on full frame may be less expensive than the Fuji 50mm f/1.0, but there is no full frame option that gets even remotely close to the size and weight of the X-E4 kit above.

I also do not agree Fuji is competing for compactness with M. Actually your Fuji examples just show the segmentation between M and RF makes sense.

I think we are debating small vs. smallest and fast vs. fastest. Do you need a small camera, or the smallest camera? The you need a fast lens, or the fastest lens? EF-M may be smallest, but it fails at fast, let alone fastest. RF may be fastest, but it fails at small, let alone smallest. Fuji is not smallest or fastest, but it does cover small to fast. Different systems and different performance envelopes.

Have to agree with this last statement here.

However, Fuji does charge a huge premium for their fast lenses, and that’s where FF is more cost effective if you don’t need a super compact option.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow