First crack at osprey w/ new rig

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MacroDonata
MacroDonata Regular Member • Posts: 129
First crack at osprey w/ new rig

Oly's 20% discount in November triggered my long simmering birding GAS and I bought the E-M1X and the 300mm Pro lens.

Ystdy was the first hint of Spring, so I went to my favorite spot for osprey and they were quite active.  I'm still in the very steep part of the learning curve with this setup, but I'm getting to like it more and more.

not as sharp as I'd like, but the pose is nice.

uncropped - good thing I wasn't using the TC.

looking right at me - thankfully the AF didn't grab a twig, as it did in some other shots

"I've got it and you can't have it!"

There were four birds in all and three were chasing the one with the fish tail.  The chasers were not really that aggressive and the bird that had it never seemed interested in consuming it despite ample opportunities.  I'm not well-versed in their behavior, but I began to think they were playing keep-away with each other.

I'm trying various settings to see what gets the best results.  I think that C-AF, 5X5 focus points, and L burst mode is a good place to start.  I forgot that I had set the sensitivity to -2 on another outing.  I typically use spot metering for large birds on bright days, but I'm open to suggestions - on all settings.  Constructive criticism is welcome.

Cheers.

MacroDonata's gear list:MacroDonata's gear list
Ricoh GR II Sony RX100 V Sony SLT-A65 Sony a77 II Olympus E-M5 II +20 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow