R5 quandary

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
CanonBme New Member • Posts: 6
R5 quandary

Ok, so I haven't bought a new camera in over 10 years. I have a 10d, 1Ds, 50d and a 5D mark II. I paid $8,000 for the 1Ds and it's worth $50 today. Enough of that.....I really like the giant file size of the R5 coming in at 45 MP and the improved focus. I'm worried about the heat issue on the video and let me preface that by saying I will never shoot video probably as long as a live. Why I'm worried is because if Canon cannot tweak it better by firmware, they are likely to come out with a successor in a year and then once again I would have a dinosaur.
The other camera for consideration would be the 5DmkIV but everything I read says it is at the end of the life cycle and Canon has no plans for a 5D mkV. I have two lens is all: 70-200 2.8 EF IS L USM version 1 and a 24-70 2.8 EF IS L USM version 1 also.
With an adaptor I can use those on a R5. They are in pristine shape other than just being version 1 of good lens.
Ideally, I wouldn't mind getting an R5 along with the same lens I have only in the R line. That's a healthy chunk of change. By choosing either camera and keeping my existing lens would save me $4k+. I just don't know how much difference there is from version 1 lens to the current crop. I've always had UV filters on them.
I've been a portrait guy in the past shooting off a camera stand or tripod. I plan on doing more birdlife in the future and just all around photography. I kept all my studio strobes/softboxes etc if I want to occasionally do some portraiture.
Any advice you can give me is always appreciated!

Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS-1Ds
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow