Sony FE24-70/f4 ZA: Is it just my copy?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mcslsk Veteran Member • Posts: 6,271
Sony FE24-70/f4 ZA: Is it just my copy?

When you scan the net or youtube for reviews of this lens, you find mostly older reviews which have almost always three findings in common: 1) Soft corners @24mm; 2) Softness @70mm; and 3) too expensive. I think item three has been solved as the lens is now available at a very reasonable price, in particular if offered with a rebate. I am on the second copy of the lens and can neither confirm unsharp corners @24mm, nor softness @70mm. Now, my Canon EF24-70f2.8 was sharper overall - even too sharp for people pics. But the IQ of the FE2470f4 is more than decent, I like the colors, the AF, the size and weight. It is important to focus the lens correctly (i.e. not at infinitiy, but @ or a little beyond HFD). Can it be that Sony w/o telling changed the design a bit? Rather unlikely. Can it be that older bodies (a7R) had more issues? But then again, my first copy was sharp on an a7r2. I can only recommend this lens as a very good travel and walk around lens.

mcslsk's gear list:mcslsk's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Sony a6500 Sony a7R III Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM +54 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow