Google photos - very poor bitrate for Full HD video

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
markyboy81 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,319
Google photos - very poor bitrate for Full HD video

I've been using both Google photos and Flickr to back up photos and videos. With Google photos I've been using the free unlimited option where files are compressed. With photos this means that they are resized to 16mp and also compressed. However, they still look very good.

Video on the other hand is another matter. Google downsizes videos to Full HD (assuming they start out higher than this) but that's not the issue. The issue is the very poor bitrate. I downloaded one of my videos and found that it was around 2.5Mb/s. The amount of artifacts is very apparent.

I guess this is more of a rant than anything else. Google provide the service for 'free' so I can't really complain. And this is irrelevant for me as they will be ceasing the free unlimited uploads later this year. It's just strange that they describe it as high quality when for video it clearly isn't. Incidentally Flickr uses around 3 times the bitrate for the same resolution video.

markyboy81's gear list:markyboy81's gear list
Sony ZV-1 Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX3000 Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 +10 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow