Roseate spoonbill at Sunset

Started 2 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 33,799
Roseate spoonbill at Sunset

Walking out of the wetlands just before sunset in mid-December, I was passing a large group of ibis wading around and feeding in the shallow water, when this much more colorful fella arrived.  It's always a pleasure to photograph the beautiful roseate spoonbill, but even moreso in that late day sunset light.  All shots taken with a Sony A6600 and FE 200-600mm G OSS lens, and are posted at 1800 pixels on the long side if you view the original size:

The lovely pink bird arrives with a big western cloud blocking the setting sun - still, you can't miss this bird when it's flying towards you (ISO 1,250)

After landing, he did a little wing flapping at some of the ibis, who did the same back at him - neither backed down and they eventually accepted each others' presence (ISO 640)

Settling in and finding a nice little patch of water to itself - as the sun started to climb out from behind the clouds

Once the sun came out, the colors on the spoonbill popped and the reflections started to light up as well

Feeding with his reflection, while adult and juvenile ibis hang around behind

Standing proud, while a juvenile ibis ignores him and continues to feed

Back to spooning around in the water for more food - and the lovely reflection following along

Plunging down for something at the bottom of the shallow water

As dusk approached, the sun dipped below the treeline, while the spoonbill continued to feed, closer to me - I had to have one more shot before heading home (ISO 1,000)

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony a6600 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +21 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow