USB-D Power Delivery (PD) spec to Charge R5 while on?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Karl_Guttag Contributing Member • Posts: 524
USB-D Power Delivery (PD) spec to Charge R5 while on?

I have searched and found a lot of conflicting information on what it takes to charge the R5 USB-C while on.  Canon has nicely confused matters by not providing a spec.  The USB-C "standard" is a confusing mess of variations and options.

From what I understand (which could be wrong), the most "standard" power delivery (PD) modes keep the current at 3 amps or less (there are "optional" spec's that go higher but requires special cables and equipment). Thus to get 27 Watts they use 9 Volts. To get to 45 Watts, they use 15 volts.

I know that a 27W (3A times 9V) supply will charge an R5 with the R5's power off. I think it requires 45W to charge while the R5's power is on, but I am not sure based on the available information.  Generally, the 45W PD batteries are bigger than the 30W (27W)  PD batteries. I would like to buy the smallest one (from a reputable company) that will do the job.

Karl_Guttag's gear list:Karl_Guttag's gear list
Canon EOS RP Olympus E-M5 III Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +10 more
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow