GX9 and Olympus 100-400mm - camera neck strap questions

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
TheDispossessed New Member • Posts: 15
GX9 and Olympus 100-400mm - camera neck strap questions

Hello,

A couple of months ago I got the Olympus 100-400 lens which I have been using with my Panasonic GX9 as a great, relatively portable combination for bird photography (with time and when I can save up for one I'll probably get myself a refurbished OM-D E-M1 Mark II).

The question I have is one around neck straps. This lens is by far the heaviest lens I own, and while it is still comfortable being carried around my neck with the standard neck strap, I feel that I should get a new neck strap for added protection as well as comfort.

I've done a bit of research and have narrowed my options down to the Op/tech Pro Loop Strap or the Peak Design Slide Lite.

From what I've been reading it is not good practice with heavier lenses to attach the neck strap to the left and right sides of the camera, and instead, one of the points should attach to the tripod mount on the lens collar so as to take the weight away from the lens mount. The question I have is - do I need to buy an additional screw in 'anchor' or can I simply attach the neck strap to the ring on my tripod quick release plate - and will this be safe enough? (I guess I'd worry about it unscrewing or loosening) Apologies is this seems like a silly question.

Many thanks

Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow