Thoughts on the Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Cato1040
Cato1040 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,970
Thoughts on the Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8

So the Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8 review was just posted and I'm just really curious as to who this lens is for within the Sony E-mount system. Here are my thoughts:

• People who want a travel lens: these probably already purchased the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, which IMO isn't that much heavier and larger
  • People who want an affordable lens: these may choose the Tamron as it's $30-100 cheaper and offers an extra 5mm on the long end
  • People who want (subjectively) 'the best': these may aim for the Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 or Sony 24-70mm f/2.8

It seems the only advantages over the Tamron:

• AF/MF switch
  • Slightly lighter and smaller (80g lighter, 0.8mm narrower, 16.3mm shorter)
  • Subjectively better bokeh than the Tamron
  • Same turning direction for those that only use Sigma zoom lenses

To me, none of these are very convincing and I'd think the customer base that fits these points would be pretty small. That being said, it may make more sense for those in the L-mount system who don't have the Tamron alternative. However, I'd think many would probably save up the extra $200 for the 24-70mm f/2.8.

It just seems like a very 'interesting 'decision to release this lens but maybe others have thoughts to help me see why they'd release this in such a crowded market. My main thought is maybe it is just a good quality portable zoom lens for the L-mount that can be inexpensively modified for the E-mount as well.

Cato1040's gear list:Cato1040's gear list
Olympus Stylus Tough TG-850 iHS Fujifilm X100T Panasonic LX10 Sony a6000 Sony a7 III +18 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow