A new A7C setup with Sigma and Voigtlander lenses or street

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
wonilsuh
wonilsuh New Member • Posts: 24
A new A7C setup with Sigma and Voigtlander lenses or street

A long-time Nikon user here, recently got the A7C, am quite happy with it, and wanted to share some gear pics.

I'm a street photographer, and as such, I have three 35mm lenses and one 21mm. I like the wide range of available lens options in the SONY system, compared to the much-limited Nikon's Z system at the moment.

This setup with the Sigma 35mm makes a perfect street shooter—fast enough, not too bulky, and a very nice AF. And the Voigtlander f/1.2 is always there when I want some nice background blur—also small-size and not too heavy.

This is a huge improvement over the Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G, which is a super nice lens with nice color, contrast, etc, but heavy and bulky, subjects notice the beast more than the compact SONY setup. Of course, I can use the Voigtlander, but I lose AF.

The image quality on both lenses is probably not the best if you start looking at pixels, but more than good enough, especially for street.

I'm also eyeing the SONY Zeiss 35mm f/2.8 and the new 35mm f/1.4, but so far I feel that I have the perfect street setup for me.

One major point of complaint for the A7C is the startup time. I had this issue with the A7R III that I used to use two years ago too. It feels it takes almost 2 seconds. The wakeup time isn't much better either, which is a bit of a pain in the neck, especially for street. I'm finding myself having to keep the camera up all the time and carry multiple batteries. I guess nothing is perfect.

SONY A7C with Sigma 35mm f/2 DG DN Contemporary lens

SONY A7C with Voigtlander Nokton 35mm f/1.2 Aspherical III

SONY A7C with Voigtlander Color-Skopar 21mm f/4 P

Nikon Z6 ii with Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G

Size comparison between the two

And some sample images. In both pictures, the focus is on the left eye of the large pink baby head. I corrected exposure and white balance slightly in both pictures.

A7C + Sigma 35mm f/2 DG DN

Z6 ii + Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G

wonilsuh's gear list:wonilsuh's gear list
Voigtlander 21mm F4 Color Skopar Pancake II Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sigma 35mm F2 DG DN Sony a7C Sony FE 50mm F1.8
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow