New Intel MacMini or upgrade RAM on Trash Can MacPro?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Nick Mason Regular Member • Posts: 174
New Intel MacMini or upgrade RAM on Trash Can MacPro?

I wonder if I could pick the collective brain power of the group please?

I take photographs to make big prints and as such want to keep my 27" Eizo screen which is currently run off a 2013 Trash Can Mac Pro which feels as though it is reaching the end of its life: Lightroom is running inordinately slow, often sticking with the SBOD spinning on my screen forever and even crashing. If I had not switched processing to Capture One a year ago and now use LR predominantly for printing and cataloguing I would have had to face this sooner although a certain pandemic has rather distracted me too. The SSD is only just over 50% full.

I generally run at least one OS behind to avoid glitches with printing, plugins etc and so am keen to avoid upgrading to anything with an M1 chip until at least the next iteration. My MacPro is running a 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5 chip with 16 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 of memory and an AMD FirePro D300 2 GB graphics card. I could upgrade the MacPro to 128GB max of memory or buy a new intel chipped MacMini with a 3.2GHz 6‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i7 chip, up to 64 GB or memory and an Intel UHD Graphics 630 card.

I am not interested in an iMac because my Eizo screen makes such a difference to my printing and am happy working on one screen. I have always used a standalone MacPro for the last 15 years so am not overly keen on, although not closed to, the idea of running my screen off a MacBook. I currently have a very big project I am working on and the slowness of my current system is beginning to hamper me.

I appreciate that these sorts of questions have been regularly asked but I am first and foremost a photographer who doesn't take as much interest in the tech side of my Mac as he should and would appreciate the thoughts and suggestions from the group on my best course of action, now in 2021. In addition, any suggestions from UK residents about the best companies that I can get sensible advice on in lockdown on this, if I went down the line of upgrading the RAM on the MacPro?

Many thanks.

Nick Mason

www.summitphotographs.com

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D300 Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow