E-M5 II finally bites the dust

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Rohith Thumati Contributing Member • Posts: 690
E-M5 II finally bites the dust

My almost 6 year old E-M5 II finally kicked it today. The gorillapod it was on tipped over (I must have shaken the table or something) and it landed in a way that not only sheared the screen off at the bolts, but the back buttons don’t work and the ‘will not turn off’ problem returned (i sent it in for repair for that issue a couple years ago). The EVF, shutter button, and top dials still work, but without being able to use any of the menus (Super Control Panel, Main Menu, or Plugged-Into-Computer Menu), it’s pretty much useless now, and will certainly cost too much to repair.

Ugh.

I mainly used it as a webcam since July when I got my Z6 and the first webcam beta was releaesd. My LX100 II also supplanted it for a lot of every day use, since the LX100 II more or less matched the E-M5 II + 12-35mm f2.8 in image quality. And the camera had started glitching over the last year - batteries drained far faster than they should have, and the time/date needed to be reset every time i turned the camera on, even with a fresh battery in (and yes, I was using relatively new batteries).

Still - it’s frustrating to see a workhorse camera die, especially from an accident like this. I had an early model - I preordered the camera as soon as they opened up - and have taken thousands upon thousands of photos with it, including the earliest photos of my kids. So it holds a special place for me.

I also now have a passel of great lenses (namely, the 15mm f1.7, 42.5mm f1.7, 60mm f2.8 macro, 12-35 f2.8, 9-18 f4-5.6, 35-100 f.4-5.6, and 40-150 f2.8) that i don’t know what to do with.

I do need a new webcam now (the Z6 is too big for that), and I’d like a decently capable Micro Four Thirds camera to use my lenses on when needed/the mood strikes me, but it’s a tough choice right now. I can’t justify any of the top end models (e.g., E-M5 III, E-M1 III, G9, GH5) since I have the Z6. I guess the G100 fits the bill, but lack of IBIS means my tele lenses will be limited on it. A refurbished E-M5 II is quite affordable ($375 right now), but buying a 6 year old model (and a copy of something I unceremoniously broke) doesn’t seem that appealing right now. Maybe if GetOlympus.com has another 20% off sale in March like they have in the past, it’ll be too cheap to pass up. But it’s not a proposition I find particularly enticing. An E-M10 IV also could work, except that it’s not supported by the webcam software, so I’d need to find another solution there.

It really does seem too much to ask for a reasonably priced (say, ~$700 body only), 20 MP camera with IBIS that is also supported by webcam software. A modern version of the GM5 (with IBIS) would be delightful, but I’m not holding out hope for that.

In conclusion - ugh.

Olympus E-M5 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow