Amazing software of today (Topaz)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
guitarjeff
guitarjeff Senior Member • Posts: 1,829
Amazing software of today (Topaz)

I took this dog photo a few years ago. I ended up cropping this WAY WAY down. Today I wanted to crop even more and then give my Topaz plugs a real workout. It was 4 MB and 4 something megapixels in jpg format. No this had already had a previous version of AI sharpen used on it. But it was still soft so I was going to do some real torturous stuff. I cropped it the final time down to 2MB sixe and 2 megapixels. This was originally 16mp on the Xe1 using the XC 50-230.

So, first I run it through Gigapixel AI. But I ran it at x2 just to do a little at a time. That got it to 7MB and 7megapixels. Then I ran it through sharpen AI using masking on the face. Then I ran it through Topaz jpg to raw plug. That made a Tiff 42 megs. Then I ran that Tiff through sharpen AI again, and then ran the Tiff through gigapixel AI again at X2 and that made a tiff 142 mb and 29 megapixels Then converted to jpg which ended up being 29 megs and 29.51 megapixels.

So from 2 megs and 2 megapixels of massive cropping to 29 megs and 29 megapixels and 5 or 6 runs through Topaz plugs and I am amazed that this phot looks as good or better than it did originally.  It was never a good photo to begin with, but I love German Shepherds and just didn't want to cull it and left it for years.  But if this had been a beloved pet and I didn't have any other pics of him I could probably get a decent size print from this.  It was definitely a soft shot to begin with as I either missed focus or he moved and my shutter wasn't fast enough.  But my point is that with today's software it seems like nothing is impossible.  I love my Topaz plugs no doubt.  So now I have a reason to keep this photo so I have an example of what these plugs can do being pushed hard.  I think I originally processed the raw in Lightroom back then.  In fact, I'm sure of it.

Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow