Ye Olde Nikon/Canon/Sony Dilemna

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
el_mediocre New Member • Posts: 13
Ye Olde Nikon/Canon/Sony Dilemna

Hi. I'm looking to get back into photography after a decade-long hiatus and will definitely be going mirrorless. My interests are mostly street and landscape photography, and will be doing some light video work but nothing super intensive. Will most likely add an Atmos if that changes. Strictly hobbyist stuff, but I like to start things with quality gear when possible. My budget is around $4K, but am willing to bump it to $5K if it means getting a great 28-70 f2.8 zoom.

I'm leaning towards the Nikon Z6II right now, since that camera has felt the best in the hand out of the ones I've tried and the current lens lineup speaks to me the most out of the group. The NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S also looks like an amazing lens. I'm a little concerned about the low-light and autofocus performance in comparison to what I've read about Canon and Sony, but I'm guessing that Nikon isn't horrible at those things (and seems to be improving in the autofocus category at least.)

I've also got the Canon R6 and Sony A7III on the radar -- both also feel like fantastic options for different reasons. The screen articulation on the R6 is nice and the autofocus performance seems unreal... but the body's a little bulkier than I'd like, plus the lenses seem considerably pricier than the Nikon equivalents.  Meanwhile, the A7III definitely has the lead in terms of lens options but also felt the worst in the hand - would definitely need a grip extender of some sort if I picked that one.  I've read a lot about confusing UI choices in the Sonys as well.

Am I off base for leaning towards the Z6 II ? Are there other options I should be considering? Advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Ricoh Caplio R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow