From Nikon D5300 to Olympus em5?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
capthaddock Junior Member • Posts: 28
From Nikon D5300 to Olympus em5?

I have a Nikon D5300 that I use with a Tamron 18-400 and a 35mm prime. The weight is too much, although the setup is good. That is why I am thinking of changing to mirrorless. My photography is family, vacations, and some astrophotography. I don't care about video. It's good to have on camera, but I use it very rarely.

The Olympus em5 mark iii, to me, seems to be a truly unique package. Small, lightweight, 20MP, IBIS, weather sealed and relatively cheap and lightweight lenses! But a part of me hesitates because it is a smaller sensor, and I am concerned about low light performance.

I feel my current camera (and me) struggle a bit taking photos in low light (street photos at night, outdoor night party, indoor party with not the best lighting, kid music performances on stage, etc.). Specifically I have found my camera struggle with focusing in low light, even with my 35mm wide open. How would olympus perform?

Second concern: em5 mark iii is quite expensive. I am willing to go down to 16MP and get the em5 mark ii (metal body too). But it does not have phase detect AF. Apparently my Nikon has it. I truly don't know what practical difference it makes. Will mark ii be good enough?

Third concern: olympus...I don't know what it's future will be. I am not someone who buys a lot of lenses, but I am concerned about service. For this reason I am also looking at fuji xs10. But fuji lenses are so expensive, and heavy!

Any suggestions (out of the above, or something else)?

A last pet peeve: I am in love with my articulating screen. That's why I am not considering sony..

Please let me know if I should post on the MFT forum instead. This is my very first post on dpreview, so not sure how strict you are about posting in the right thread (cloudy nights is quite anal about this).

Nikon D5 Nikon D5300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow