Need advice on camera with lenses for aquarium/terrarium filming

Started Feb 22, 2021 | Discussions thread
BBbuilder467 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,278
Re: Need advice on camera with lenses for aquarium/terrarium filming

Mieszko wrote:

Hello guys, Im considering stepping into this camera hobby after using phones for a few years and feeling their limiting powers.

This will be my first camera, and I will be shooting typically amphibians rather up close. The point will be to give the viewer a feeling of nature up close with good quality and beauty, and a relaxing atmosphere.

I assume 4k is a given these days for that extra level of detail. Any advice on cameras with lenses? Thanks

I don't know what distances you're working with.

To do my pond frogs, I've used 50mm in Full frame, but have to get well within arm's reach, and can't fill the frame from that distance. I need the 90mm to 400mm range when the subject can be 6 to 8 feet away and you're trying to get down to their level.

At short distances a good kit zoom should work. The hard part is avoiding camera shake and motion blur. Since they are wet and around water, I'll usually need a CPL. I still think it's too close if they aren't trapped in a small aquarium.

I have a short macro lens, but there is no way I could get close enough to use it with a live frog, toad or snake. A salamander maybe, but they don't sit still for long.

If I did this specifically, I think I'd look close at the Panasonic FZ1000. I think you'll want the long zoom at a moment's notice.

anytime I've done my frogs or fish in the pond, I needed a long zoom. I think 90mm in FF is about the minimum.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow