Edward Weston

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Weegee
Weegee Senior Member • Posts: 2,897
Edward Weston

Sadly, some of you probably have never heard of him.......but you should.

I have just been re-reading his " day books."

Unlike nowadays where everyone wants no depth of field and f/1.2 lenses, with an 8 x 10 view camera he constantly needed more depth of filed. He had special shutters made that would stop down to F/256 instead of the usual f/64. He even made pin holes out of cardboard to stop the lens down.His photograph of the two nautilus shells needed an 8 hour exposure! He never mentioned diffraction from the lenses.

However, he constantly mentioned lens flare and light leaks. He was constantly patching the 8 x 10 bellows on his camera and had trouble with his holders warping so that the image was not sharp from side to side. Oh how he would have loved maybe a Fuji medium format digital camera!

His small camera was a 3 1/2 x 4 1/2 Graflex SLR ( I think that was close enough to the size, not a 4 x 5.) He would enlarge those "small" negatives and make 8 x 10 film positives. Then he would place the 8 x 10 film positive on top of another piece of 8 x 10 film in a contact frame, expose it to a light bulb and then have a proper 8 x 10 negative so that he could make an 8 x 10 paper print. Lots of trouble if you ask me!

I would like to bring him down from heaven ( he has served his time in purgatory! ) and show him an 8 x 10 iPad . Needless to say, he would be blown away.....unless God already gave him one!

Also, he never sold a print for more than $ 35. while alive. Now, one of his prints ( printed by him ) went for $ 1,600,000. He could have lived for his whole life on just that one print. I say this because he was constantly in search of money.

Hope you enjoyed this and you will look into some of the great books or even YouTube videos! One of the grand masters of the 20th century and photography.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow