Will Canon ever again make a camera just for photographers?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ADW02 Regular Member • Posts: 428
Will Canon ever again make a camera just for photographers?

I own the 6DII, and it's really a very good camera at its price point, which right now is about $1,400 USD. But I have no illusions that it's in the same ballpark as the R5, which has about 19 more megapixels and a host of other features that make it, in my opinion, the best camera in the world today. (Yes, a digital 645 camera can produce better images, but it's monstrously expensive and a pain to lug around.) Sadly, for now I can't afford the R5, even if I could get my hands on one. But I have to wonder how much it would cost if its sole function was to take photographs. Could I then afford it?

Okay, this is a moot point; being competitive in the marketplace won't allow Canon to make a high-end camera without including video capabilities, but it makes things really difficult for those of us who only want a photo camera. And so I have to wonder if, just maybe, in about a couple of years Canon might make a purely photo-dedicated camera body whose specs are similar to the R5's. When sales of the R5 begin to fall off, perhaps Canon might make a more affordable body sans video.

Truth to tell, though, including video capabilities with photo cameras is actually a good thing. If I remember correctly, photography was officially invented in 1839, and I have to admit that it would have been rather interesting to see videos of everyday scenes in Civil War America. How would Lincoln, as an example, have looked and sounded during the war? A century-and-a-half from now it will be fascinating to see how we lived our everyday lives in the early 21st Century, and I think nothing could bring that to us more readily and realistically than the video functions in today's photo cameras. So I guess I can't complain too loudly, but it would be nice to be able to afford the R5, even if I might have to wait six months to get one.

Thanks for reading.

Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KEG
KEG
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow