New z7ii owner but what are these image artifacts from my Sigma 150-600?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
wshooter Forum Member • Posts: 69
New z7ii owner but what are these image artifacts from my Sigma 150-600?

I've been a DPReview member and casual photographer for years and have enjoyed the site but this is my first post (I think).

I've been on a photography hiatus for more than a year and just picked up a z7ii/24-70 kti a week ago with the FTZ adapter in hopes of some inspiration to get out and shoot again. I also purchased a 14-30 z lens and both z lens are amazing compared to my F mount lens for my old crop sensor cameras.

I put the FTZ adapter on and my 5 yo Sigma 150-600m contemporary lens to give it a try. As expected, it's soft compared to the z lenses (and out of focus) but I was hoping someone could help me properly identify the artifacts in the attached image circled in red.

Image was shot @600mm, wide open aperture. The subject was not that far away (maybe 150-200')

Are the double squiggly lines that goes across the image horizontally, an artifact of the DOF, quality of lens, optic misalignment. Or is this what is called moire?

I need help in identifying what it is so I can read more about it and go back and try something else to understand better. I never saw until I got back to my desktop's big screen.

Thanks in advance!

Sigma 150-600 contemporary, 600mm @f/6.3

wshooter's gear list:wshooter's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z7 II Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow