Compact camera for landscapes

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Qimmiq Regular Member • Posts: 150
Compact camera for landscapes

I'm looking at getting a compact camera to take when out on hikes so I can do a bit of landscape photography without adding much weight to my bag.

I currently have an 80D (with 2 pancake lenses 24 and 40mm, 15-85, 70-200, 100-400ii and the 1.4x iii).  I could take the 80D with the 24 and 40 but it's still a bit bigger than I want to add to my pack, doesn't give much zoom range and I don't really want to be having to change lenses.

I also currently have a G15 which is still capable of some decent photos but I'd like better image quality.  A few years ago I had a G1X and found it to be fantastic for hiking but unfortunately sold it.  At the moment I'm considering another G1X or perhaps a G1X2 since it's a little more "modern".  (G1X3 is not in the budget).

I do prefer Canon as that's what I've mostly shot for the last 20+ years but would be open to other suggestions too.  From what I've read the G1X line would be better for landscapes than the G7X line because of the bigger sensor and better lens. The RX100's seem to be very popular but for the price of a lightly used G1X2 I'd be looking at a very early model RX100 (likely a 1 or 2).

Qimmiq's gear list:Qimmiq's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EOS 80D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +3 more
Canon EOS 80D Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot G7 X Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow