Need advice on camera with lenses for aquarium/terrarium filming

Started Feb 22, 2021 | Discussions thread
alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 17,545
Re: Need advice on camera with lenses for aquarium/terrarium filming

Mieszko wrote:

Thanks for the input guys. Budget wise I guess I could go all the way to 2500 dollars if I am sold on a particular device for my particular usage.

I have read a bit on the different camera systems in here but I havent and dont have many opportunities to try them out now either so I will have to take a chance eventually.

Perhaps I am looking for you experienced users to recommend a few systems for me under 2500 dollars including lenses for my usage. It can be a lot cheaper aswell if you think I wont notice too much difference as a beginner in my work.

Thanks

I would suggest a Panasonic GX85 (16Mp resolution photo) or GX9 (20Mp resolution photo), do 4K video, plus a 25mm f/1.7 lens to give a closest shooting distance of around 9" from your target (reasonable distance not to scare the animal I think)...

GX85 and twin lens kit set (12-32 & 45-150), an older model, is offering at US$600 as per

GX9 kit set (single lens of 12-60), the latest generation of the line of product, is around US$1000...

Then the Panasonic 25 f/1.7 lens alone is US$150.

(prices are quoted by B&H. All of the 3 lenses included in the kit set are usable to shoot amphibians, but better for outdoor shooting and are not the best for indoor low lighting shooting.)

If you would be print huge hard copy, says not bigger than 15" x 11.5" (in terms of GX85, slightly larger for GX9), basically the above could be a low cost for you to start your journey on camera shooting.

In case if you would need some more specialized lens, e.g. a macro lens for macro shooting etc, there are plenty native lenses from Panasonic and Olympus at reasonable cost for your future growth into the hobby. BTW, these models are all on Live View based shooting. Their see-to-adjust style of shooting is very similar to the smartphone you are using.

-- hide signature --

Albert
** Please forgive my typo error.
** Please feel free to download the original image I posted here and edit it as you like **

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow