Nikon Z7 I vs Z6 II (+ 24-200) for hiking?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Russ G
Russ G Regular Member • Posts: 266
Re: Nikon Z7 I vs Z6 II (+ 24-200) for hiking?

I recently moved from a D800E to a Z 7ii for my landscape camera. I didn't purchase the 24-200 lens, I bought the body with the kit 24-70 f4 lens, and I added the 14-30 f4 and the 70-200 f2.8. I couldn't be more happy with the z system.  If you decide on a z camera, I'd definitely rule out the first generation of the z 6 or z 7. Not that they aren't great cameras, I just can't fathom why you would invest hard-earned money in hardware that has been significantly updated in the new versions, with those updates not achievable via a firmware update.

That being said, I'm going to throw you a curve ball. Since you say you're happy with the image quality of your RX100, but dont like the handling and ergonomics, I would strongly suggest you take a hard look at the Sony RX10M4. I'm not sure I'd consider the z 7ii/24-200 combo a hiking camera, but I can see how others might. I also own the RX10M4, and it has been my versatile grab-n-go camera for when I didn't want to lug the D800E and its glass around. The RX10M4 has the same sensor as your RX100, so image quality should be indistinguishable between the two. What differentiates the RX10 from the R100 is the fact that it feels and shoots just like an interchangeable lens mirrorless camera, and its truly remarkable Sony/Zeiss lens. The lens has an amazing 35mm equivalent focal range of 24-600mm, a constant maximum aperture of f4, and is tack sharp. In my opinion, the RX10M4 sits right in the middle, between your RX100 and a z 6/7ii kit on the hikability scale. Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not saying my RX10M4 equates in any way to my z 7ii kit in terms of absolute image quality, that would be ridiculous. However, depending on how much you value less weight and extreme flexibility for your hiking camera, the equation starts to change significantly. My RX10M4 will still serve the same function it did alongside my D800E kit. It's not getting much attention right now, as I am spending all my photography time right now getting comfortable with the new z 7ii, but the relationship between the two kits will return to normal in due time. Also, consider that the RX10M4 can be purchased new for considerably less money than any z camera and lens, and the learning curve of jumping from your RX100 to the RX10M4, will be virtually non-existent. In fact, you could bounce between the RX100 an RX10 with no Sony/Nikon translation required, which is something I have to deal with when I bounce between my two kits.

-- hide signature --
 Russ G's gear list:Russ G's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Nikon Z7 II Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 70-200 F2.8 VR
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow