Does medium format film really equal 80MP digital?

Started 6 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
dellaaa
dellaaa Senior Member • Posts: 1,055
Does medium format film really equal 80MP digital?

I apologize if this has been discussed before but I will ask.

I have come to digital from film. Medium format and 35mm. Shooting film I was always looking for less grain and sharper images, hence the larger format. Most people who shot film were in the same boat.

My film experiences were mixed. I never really liked the look of printed color films, they always look contrived and unnatural to me. I wound up hand coloring b&w prints, liking them better. Projected slides were nice to look at. I like b&w prints a lot. Something about them appealed to me. They seemed pure and in their unnatural way, natural.

But I was honestly never happy with printed film results. B&W could have less grain and be sharper (I did try Kodak TechPan ISO 20) , color prints looked fake.

People are hanging on to film and I'm mystified as to why. I read 6x6 medium format film equals a 80MP digital sensor. I shot 6x6. I now have D800 Nikon, Fuji XPro2 and a few Sigmas (DP1, SD1 and SQQ). I'm happy with the results of all of these. I get results and high ISOs that I could never touch with film.

Where does this 80MP number come from and does anyone believe it? As a matter of fact, I got 8x10s using my first 8MP Nikon that blow away anything I could produce using film. B&W with no grain and fantastic detail.

Digital seems like what we were looking for for years using film. No grain, clarity that cuts like a knife, instant results (I do own a Polaroid back for my Bronica) and high ISOs.

I would love to see comparisons from people who have both digital and film showing the quality superiority of film.

Help me, I would like to be educated.

dellaaa's gear list:dellaaa's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Sigma DP1 Merrill Nikon D800 Sigma SD1 Merrill Fujifilm X-Pro2 +4 more
Nikon D800 Sigma SD1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow