Nikon Z7 II Studio AF Issues

Started 5 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Spotniq New Member • Posts: 8
Nikon Z7 II Studio AF Issues

Good evening,

I recently received my Nikon Z7 II and have been thrilled with its performance outside. However, a lot of my work is studio photography and I've been breaking my head trying to figure out why the autofocus is atrocious when shooting in the studio. This is my first mirrorless camera (jumped over from the D750) and I'm hoping it is user error.

My camera settings are nothing out of the ordinary just the usual studio set up ISO = 64, shutter speed = 1/200 and Aperture = f/8. With these settings and modeling light turned on on my strobe, my Z7 II struggles A LOT to lock focus even if I'm just a few feet away from my subject. I decided to add ambient light thinking the modeling light may not be enough (which it was def. enough for my D750) but anyways the ambient light made no difference, the Z7 II continued to struggle.. Out of 10 pics roughly 8 were out of focus.. that's how bad it is. I did a few google searches and found that some have found improved AF performance when turning off "Apply Settings to live view" (d9) but this did nothing for me. However, one thing I found out today was when I changed from f/8 down to f/1.8 all of a sudden my AF improved by leaps and bounds! I also noticed that the EVF was a lot less grainy at 1.8. So this leads me to believe there must be a setting within the camera that can completely turn of the WYSIWYG live view (other than turning off d9) and have it act more like a DSLR. I honestly thought there was an issue with my Z7 II because I have found very little on this on the web and was getting ready to return it until I noticed the aperture thing. I'm at my wits end and any help would be greatly appreciated! Below is the gear I'm using in case it's of any help

Nikkor 50mm 1.8 S

Godox AD400 pro strobe

Godox wireless Xpro N trigger
- P.S one thing I found with this trigger is that as soon as I slide it on to my camera it'll turn off the live vew wysiwig even if the setting within my camera is still set to on.. I found this a bit strange.. I'm assuming the Z7 II knows that a flash/trigger is being added and does this automatically?

Nikon Z7 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
cna
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow