Is this a scam? "Won" a bid on eBay for camera from Russia

Started 1 week ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
angry-at-30 New Member • Posts: 8
Is this a scam? "Won" a bid on eBay for camera from Russia

Hey all!

I'm new to this community! I'd been stalking this auction on eBay for a few days, and confirmed with the seller that the package comes with both a Canon 6D Mark II plus the Tamron SP 24-70mm lens. I got outbid, but came in 2nd place. My last bid was $820. However, immediately after the auction ended, the seller contacted me and let me know that he can't ship to the country that the winner is from... therefore, he would sell me the camera for $820.

The conversation went like this:

Seller: "There is no delivery to the winner's country from our country. I can give you at your rate via paypal."

Me: "Oh I see. Am I able to purchase the camera through eBay does it have to only be through PayPal?" (At this point I thought he was trying to scam me by making me send him money through PayPal)

Seller: "You can use ebay, but you need to wait at least 7 days. In 2 days I will be able to open a non-payment dispute. After another 4 days I can close it. Previously, I will not be able to post ads due to the lack of limits in Russia. We only have $ 500 a month and I used it for this advertisement."

/end of convo

I don't quite understand why eBay would allow someone he can't ship to bid on the item. Maybe the seller just doesn't want to ship there? I'm also confused about his statement about the "ad" or "advertisements"... not sure if it's a translation issue (considering the seller is from Russia) or if there's a process that's just over my head. It's hard to tell because the seller has a new account and no rating. Since there's buy protection though, I guess I'm not too worried... or should I be?

If everything is done through eBay and there's buyer's protection, should I have much concern? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated! $830 would be a steal, but also... it's quite a bit to lose out on if this is a bad deal.

Thanks so much for your time!

-Angry-at-30

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon 6D Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow