Fuji X-T4 AF-S autofocus consistency

Started 5 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ProfPS Regular Member • Posts: 412
Fuji X-T4 AF-S autofocus consistency

A topic that I see has come up a few times on this forum relates to autofocus misses, when the subject is a landscape, and a lens is used stopped down, in AF-S. Earlier threads included the H1, T30 and T3 amongst others - I have an XT4. In general, I remain really impressed with the autofocus even compared to my now sold R5, but there remains an issue with consistency. In short, when landscaping, I have more blurry pictures than I'm used to, and then I expect based on my experience and technique.

Earlier today, I went out with the new 10-24, and happy to find the lens perfectly sharp at all apertures and focal lengths. However, just like with my 16mm 1.4, I am getting a fair share of blurry pictures where the camera refused to focus at infinity. Based on a tip here, I had switched on the AF distance scale, and it turns out that when it goes wrong, the camera thinks the landscape is 1-3 meters in front of me - no wonder nothing is sharp.

Scenes like the picture below, from this morning, come out blurry maybe about 1 in 5 pictures. I focused on the horizon. Four out of five times, the camera went for infinity. One out of five, it went for close focus.

I was prepared encounter this and noticed in the field, so tried a few scenarios. What I found so far is that when metered wide open, all pictures came out sharp. With Af-C tracking, all pictures also came out sharp. But with Af-S single point small or large, a good % just failed to focus accurately. It happens mostly with wide angle lenses, stopped down to 5.6 or smaller.

In response to inevitable comments that this is difficult for any AF system, or operator error, or that there is no point to use AF for static scenes like these - all may be true. it's just that I'm starting to get a feel for when I can't rely on the AF, and this becomes a repeatable issue. I did let Fuji know, on the chance they will be able to sort this out for me (one can hope).

Canon EOS 1100D (EOS Rebel T3 / EOS Kiss X50) Canon EOS R5 Pentax Optio T30
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ggc
rlx
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow