Is a Wimberly monopod head overkill for m43?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
lescrane Contributing Member • Posts: 751
Re: Is a Wimberly monopod head overkill for m43?

janeenadamsmartin wrote:

I am thinking of this Wimberly, the MH-100, not the full-sized gimbal.

Steve Perry Youtube is compelling as to why this is better than a tilt-head.

And folks say you get use

d to it being on the side, vs on top.

I will try to actually answer your question and not a question you never asked. (given you are using a monopod. which in my case at least has nothing to do with stability. It's getting the weight of lens/ camera off your body, especially for prolonged shooting where you are focusing on a single object as in bird in trees)

So you are using a monopod. The whimberly does add some weight and bulk vs a simple tilt head. To me it is worth it. Say you are pointing high up at acute angle. With simple head you need to move the monopod as a whole, pick up reposition and tilt from. the foot. you may even be tempted just hold the whole thing off the ground

With the M 100 you easily use gimbal to swivel the head upwards. its fast and easy presuming you keep knob loose

As far as the position of the camera off to side, I find it's easier to use. I can rest my left hand on knob for added stability.

Only way to see if this works for you is to try it. It is an unconventional design

lescrane's gear list:lescrane's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow