Long lenses on DX Choices - 150-600, 200-400/500 etc.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
nicodimus22
nicodimus22 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,348
Re: Long lenses on DX Choices - 150-600, 200-400/500 etc.

fpapp wrote:

nicodimus22 wrote:

fpapp wrote:

Aston Senna wrote:

fpapp wrote:

I had the Sigma 150-600 C and I was never really happy with it. I sold it and bought the Nikon 200-500mm, much better lens IMO!

can i ask why you think the nikon much better? Did you calibrate the sigma with the dock?

I could never get acceptably sharp images out of the Sigma, and yes I spent a bunch of time calibrating it, which in my opinion should really be done at the factory!

My understanding of AF fine-tuning is that you're not simply calibrating the lens, but the combination of your specific body and that specific lens, and how minor different tolerances in manufacturing of each make them fit together. If that's correct, there is no way for them to do that at the factory.

All of my Nikkor lenses are spot on from the factory and don't require any fine tune. The only one I had a problem with was the 50mm f1.4G which required -15 fine tune on all bodies. I sent the lens for service and it's perfect now as well.

According to your gear list, you own 29 Nikkor lenses.

I'm sure that some of them required no adjustment.

I seriously doubt that all 29 lenses were perfectly matched to your camera body.

nicodimus22's gear list:nicodimus22's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow