Long lenses on DX Choices - 150-600, 200-400/500 etc.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Aston Senna Junior Member • Posts: 49
Long lenses on DX Choices - 150-600, 200-400/500 etc.

Hey guys, I'm getting into shooting racing. I shot my first race last fall and used my D7500 with a newly acquired Sigma 150-600 C. Got lots and lots of great shots with this combo.

Trouble is, many shots over 400mm were just lacking, shots of cars coming head on. Now I get it, it's a super zoom on a budget.

At 300-350 5.6, i had many that were RAZOR sharp, though. Definitely was a difference between shots under 400 and over 400. I kept it wide open for the most part for shutter speed and to get more background blur.

So I ain't buying a used 500 or 600 f4 for five grand , not happening lol.

I'm more looking at options for getting better results over 400mm . I don't know if the Tamron G2 150-600 is really supposed to be any better or not, most things I read online are flip flopping between this one is better at long end, and then something else says the other.

Same thing with the Sigma Sport, some reviews that compared the C to the Sport say no difference, while others say the SPort is very very good at the long end even at 600. Photography Life is a good example.

Then there's the Nikon 200-500, I've read some flip flopping things there, too.

I have been eyeballing a locally for sale 200-400 F4 as well, but 400 might not be enough for some of the things I've liked to do, and think a 1.4 converter would really hurt on DX. But F4 would be so nice for blurring more background.  Luckily these are getting cheap under 2k now.

Anyone have any experience with these that have been able to compare them against each other?

Aston Senna's gear list:Aston Senna's gear list
Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon 85mm F1.8G +3 more
Nikon D7500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow