Travel Lens - If you could only have one?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
EvilOne
EvilOne Forum Pro • Posts: 14,627
Re: Travel Lens - If you could only have one?

Some perspective. A walk around lens is not the same thing as an only one lens.

Many of us started out buying lenses we could afford and build a collection of lenses.( Most of these collect dust after a while ) Many of us bought prime lenses for a singular purpose in focal length. Some of us went from Primes to Zooms because of the versatility. My Minolta 80-200 2.8 APO Black version was my first Zoom lens that I considered professional quality. From the Minolta lens factory in Japan, hand made and polished to an incredible quality standard.

So to the question. Only have one lens. For many years many of us used 50mm and got by with it for years. In Collège we used 50mm in my elective Photography class. that was 50 years ago.

So Today, many New comers to photography have lost their ability to go and get the shot, and would rather have the shot come to them. With this in mind the need for a zoom lens with a wide enough reach as well as a long enough reach would cover ALL the bases, since its the only lens you can have ( in this scenario ). Since the criterial of only having one lens means you cant have your cake and eat it too. You can go for IQ and limit the focal range or expand the focal range and limit the IQ,

I chose the 16-300 Tamron for this purpose and found it to be a great walk around lens with enough speed to shoot indoors in well lit events where flash was prohibited.. So for me.. Ill take versatility over IQ. I can get inside any room with 16mm and reach out 300 mm for that long shot to capture a priceless memory.

Bill

EvilOne's gear list:EvilOne's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi Nikon Coolpix 990 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow