Affinity Photo Editing Extension to Apple Photos

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dan Dare Forum Member • Posts: 83
Affinity Photo Editing Extension to Apple Photos

I've been using Apple Photos ever since Aperture support was dropped. It's fine for viewing and editing NEFs from my Nikon Z7 (and prior to that my D300s, D700, D850) but  the ORF image files from my Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark III are not viewable and so cannot be edited because Apple have still not added ORF compatibility for this camera to MacOS BigSur. (I have a separate thread about this).

So, I've been trying out Affinity Pro which does enable me to view and edit the ORF files from that camera and what is also nice is it's integration with Topaz DeNoise AI as a Filter plugin.

Whilst I can use it stand alone and then export the finished image back to Apple Photos this is not what I wanted so I have been trying it as an Apple Photos Extension Editor (not Edit with)

So from the Edit window in Apple Photos, I select "Edit in Affinity Photo" which opens the ORF file in Affinity Photo. Without making any adjustments I just select Develop and then I select Save and Close which then shows the processed RAW image in the Edit Window of Apple Photos. However, at the bottom of the window is this message "Editing complete (16MB change limit exceeded - document will be flattened) - press save to keep these changes”

Ok, so I save the image and now I have a viewable ORF image but it is noticeably softer.

So is Affinity Photo's processed image too big for Apple Photos and "flattened" means that it has been compressed thereby losing detail which makes the image look softer? I asked Affinity Support and posted it on their user forum 5 days ago but I've not had any reply.

I know that in stand alone mode if I open a 20MB ORF file from the camera and then Develop and save as an afphoto document, the resulting file is about 178MB. This is the reason I don't want to use it stand alone as I don't want to keep additional copies other than what gets saved in Apple Photos.

When used as "Edit in Affinity Photo"  an afphoto file of the same size, 178MB,  gets saved in an Affinity folder called "Intermediates" in the Library. This file gets overwritten with each new image that is edited and saved in Apple Photos.

Any ideas, comments grateful received, thank you.

In the meantime I'm trying out ON1 which does not produce the same warning message and the image does not seem to have lost any detail.

Dan Dare's gear list:Dan Dare's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Nikon Z7 Olympus E-M1 III Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro +5 more
Nikon D300S Nikon D700 Nikon Z7 Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow