New way of shooting

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Mark Matson Junior Member • Posts: 48
New way of shooting

Hi all,

As you have probably noticed, I bought a new Q2 recently.  It's a remarkable camera in a little package, but I'm having to adjust the way I shoot pictures as a result.

I grew up on my father's Olympus OM-1 (with the needle light meter and silky smooth lenses) and read all of Ansel Adams books.  I adopted the Zone System and attempted to create perfect negatives, both to capture the full range of tonalities and to make printing as easy and flexible as possible.  I printed the images in my father's darkroom in the basement.

With the Q2, I am forced to adjust my method considerably.  I now find an exposure for my subject and focus manually, regardless of the framing and composition.  Each photo is taken to maximize flexibility in post-processing (over- or under-exposing for flexibility) and framing / cropping is accomplished in Lightroom (by design with the 47mp and wide-angle lens).  This is a new experience for me and I find it both freeing and limiting at the same time.

Anyone else have similar thoughts?

Mark

Mark Matson's gear list:Mark Matson's gear list
Leica Q2
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow