Canon fd 500mm f4.5L on m43

Started Sep 25, 2019 | Discussions thread
OP kohinoor Senior Member • Posts: 1,475
Re: Canon fd 500mm f4.5L on m43

OldMax2000 wrote:

kohinoor wrote:

Congrats on your purchase. Very nice lens that one! If you feel you need more FL you could add the Olympus 1.4xTC ore even the 2xTC. (420mm f4 ore 600mm f5.6 is fine!) Your lens is supposed to be even sharper than mine and was more expensive when originally introduced!

I did not know that much about the fd 300f2.8L. Thank you for telling me. Yes, I might try to get a MC-14 to increase the reach.

1. What did you reply on to find the focus in the G85 with the 500f4.5L: peaking or just image clarity?

I use only the 3X magnified view. On the G80 I have the fn-button behind the shutter release set for magnify. That's the easyest one to reach without loosening the grip and without introducing shake. I usually focus first without magnification and take a quick short burst just in case the bird won't stay long enough. When the bird stays I go into magnified view for more precise focussing and shoot again. My hit rate for shots without magnification has improved quite noticeably with the bigger higher resolution viewfinder on the G9.

This is so valuable to me as it could save me lots of time and frustration. I can use those directly in the same camera. Many thanks!

Tip: Pressing and holding down any fn-button brings you directly to the available settings.
Thats page14/14 of the menu for the fn-button behind the shutter:

And this (AF Mode/MF) is for bringing up magnified view.

In case you need assistance configuring the G80 ... feel free to ask here and/ore you can allways send me a PM.

Initially I also tried peaking. But it can be disappointing/missleading when there is low contrast on the bird but high contrast close behind ore in front. So I gave up on it.

I was initially excited about the peaking on the Sony NEX cameras years ago but soon discovered its inaccuracies, particularly in close ups shots. Good to know that it does not work well for birding either.

2. Did you use IBIS to help steady the image in the EVF when trying to focus? Does it work? I would imagine that the images would be jumping around with an effective 1400mm focal length!

IBIS is allways on except for BIF shots. I have programmed my C1,C2,C3 settings on the top dial for bare lens/ lens+tc/ BIF respectively. And even for BIF I don't switch IBIS off completely but rather use the panning setting.

The G85 seems to have only C1 and C2 on the top dial. But that would be enough for me to start. Thank you.

Right, but the C2 has C21,C22,C23 which can be toggled by pressing the center of the four way cursor on the back.

How ever, where it does get really tricky is when shooting 700mm and going into magnified view. -Unfortunately 3X is the lowest possible magnification both on G80 and G9. So this takes me to 4200mm equ FOV ... and that isn't steady any more, it's rather borderline. All this is for my preferred shooting with a hip-stick (steadify) as shown in one of my links. I allmost never shoot purely handheld and only about 1/3 of my shooting is with tripod. On tripod I keep IBIS on and the viewfinder stays rock steady.

I don't think I would do hand-held with that much weight due to bad back. My current plan is to use a monopod if not a tripod. I may research the hip-stick or should support (like videographers use), but monopod would be for my hiking for now. Have you tried monopod with that setup?

Yes, monopod works fine. And for a bad back is probably better than a hip-stick. The most comfortable for shooting is of course a tripod as it provides the most stable viewfinder view for manual focus. I use tripod when I know I'll shoot mainly from the same location and when there's not much walking involved.

3. Did the IBIS help countering the effect of equipment shake at lower shutter speed like 1/250s or 1/500s? Do you feel that you could get 4-5 stops from G85 (or G80) with such a long lens?

I allways shoot small bursts of 3-5 shots. And IBIS allways is much better than no IBIS no matter how low the SS.
When shooting 500mm(1000 equiv) I feel comfortable shooting bursts at 1/250sec (2 stops of stabilisation) and getting about 90% sharp shots, ore 1/125 (3 stops) with about 60% hit rate. Even longer SS are possible but I need to shoot longer bursts of about 10 shots. (For shooting with tc I up the game by one stop in terms of SS.)
So 4-5 stops are possible with low to very low hit rates. But 3 stops of IS are realistic and practical.

Great to know that the G85/G80 IBIS works well with such lenses!!! My next body would have to have IBIS. Thank you!

The G80 tends to allways stay at 1/125sec SS when shooting autoISO no matter what focal length is dialed in. For me with the long lens+tc that was really annoying. But with the 300mm and even when you add a 1.4tc you should be fine with 1/125sec SS for stabilisation.

That is a strange behavior. Wont you want to use shutter priority mode so that you can control the shuttle speed to minimize image blur?

On G80 the only mode which will allow exposure compensation when using manual lens is aperture priority. 
And the G80 has a tendency to blow highlights when not using some expo comp. 

So with G80 I usually started with EC of -2/3 ore -1 and ISO 400. And I would adjust EC using the ring dial around the shutter button. And I would up the ISO when seeing my SS was too low using the top rear dial. -Unfortunately there's no way to change ISO directly with the dial but one has to allways first press the ISO button.

One could of course set aperture, SS and ISO  all manually. -Then EC becomes redundant. That's a matter of personal preferences.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow