Snow Crystals at 6.5x to 9x magnification

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
oneofone25
oneofone25 Senior Member • Posts: 1,031
Snow Crystals at 6.5x to 9x magnification

I decided to go stronger than my last series and switch out the Raynox 250 for the 202 and also the 505 for a shot or two.  So here we go...

Olympus EM1 Mark 2, the Olympus MC-20 Teleconverter, Pixco 16mm extension tube modified, Olympus 60mm macro lens and then the Raynox 202 or 505 depending on the shot.

This one was with the 202. I focus stacked IN-Camera to see what I could get.  My Yellow Road worker-style coat reflected in the snow crystal, causing the green color (it combined with the blue of the fabric the snow was on, making the green).  THis one was a big hit on my Instagram and facebook posts.

Same snowflake as above, but a 45+ image stack using the same setup as above, but didn't stack in camera - stack was done in Helicon.  did a slight crop too.

I was able to catch some interference with the lighting on this one...you can see the rainbow caused in the top middle and the blue in the bottom middle.  This was with the 202.  I will post two crops after this one.

This next one was what I have been hoping to do for some time...My main hobby right now is photographing sand grains from the Bandon, Oregon coast.  The grains are about 0.2 millimeters wide.  I was able to get one to sit on top of a single snowflake and then take the 100+ images needed to get it focus stacked.

This next one actually is a favorite of mine even though I didn't get the whole snow crystal into focus....You can see the branches of the crystal growing up and out from under the center plate of the snow crystal.  See what I mean???  I used the Raynox 505 for this one....

another with the 505 - not the prettiest crystal, but under 1mm in width and you can see some neat patterns in it if you look closely.

and last but not least - this one I suppose was with the Raynox 250, but I got such a clear shot of the whole crystal, that I was able to crop 75% of the image away to show in amazing detail two of the six branches of this incredible snowflake!

oneofone25's gear list:oneofone25's gear list
Sony a6000 Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +2 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow