Choosing a printer for art prints

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
logan ross Regular Member • Posts: 440
Re: Choosing a printer for art prints

luepc wrote:

logan ross wrote:

I have both the Pro 200 (dye ink) and the pro 1000 (larger version of the pigment ink pro 300). One is not better than the other. I select printer based on the paper and the paper based on the image (smoothness/texture/warmth/weight).

For anything that is glossy, without a doubt, the pro 200 results are preferable. For example, Pictorico High Gloss White Film, makes the most astonishing glossy prints with dye, but are dull and lifeless when printed with pigment. For mattes, I tend to use the pro 1000 (but have begun experimenting with the pro 200 for the deeper blacks and richer colors). For barytas and other “satin in the middle” papers, it really depends on the paper. Some, like Ilford Gold Fiber Silk are designed specifically for pigment, and don’t print very well on Dye. Others, like those from Hahnemhule are designed to work with both dye and pigment, and my tests have shown that it simply varies by paper, and the only way to know is to test. Canon semi-gloss and luster work equally well on dye and pigment as a further example.

I'll keep these in mind! I'd be mostly printing on matte paper for fine art, and both Canson and Hahnmhule are the brands that I can find more easily in my location. And as mike earussi said above, there's a positive review on the pro 200 and printing on matte paper, so I'll look into it. Pro 1000 goes way too high on my budget right now...

BTW, I have a fully managed workflow, use paper manufacturer provided Media type profiles, and professionally made (by Chromix) color profiles for each paper for each printer. I am very comfortable in saying that I have eliminated variables, and that my results are solid. I maintain a spreadsheet of my paper results, so that it is easy to select the right paper/printer combo for a particular image.

Finally, short of selling prints where “100 years” is a necessary selling point, I no longer find the longevity issue to be a factor in selecting a pigment vs dye printer. Today’s dye printers are far better than older ones, and I have 15 year old dye prints, printed largely on Pictorico high gloss white film on Epson printers, that are displayed without glass, and look as good as they did back then. If I need to reprint in 30 years, I will 😀

I didn't know about Chromix, must check them out!

Thanks!

Their Color Valet Pro service is excellent.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow