Good "travel zoom" for Nikon DX Cameras?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ARClark
ARClark Veteran Member • Posts: 4,138
Re: Good "travel zoom" for Nikon DX Cameras?

calson wrote:

A D500 is a poor choice as a backup camera for a Z camera or even a FX camera for that matter. When I traveled with a new D850 and my D500 I came to realize that if the D850 had any problems the D500 was not a good backup camera with its DX sensor. I sold the D500 and bought a second D850 camera.

I ended up doing the same thing. I didn’t necessarily find the D500 as a poor choice, per se. In my circumstances, I found that the D500’s advantages in AF speed, frame rate and buffer didn’t overcome the inconvenience of having two different formats to contend with. It’s nice having complete interchangeability of the same camera for user settings, lenses, memory cards, etc. There’s just less decision-making, and the D850 has advantages over the D500 for my shooting, especially the wider field of view for shooting active birds and BIF.

With a Z camera the best backup is another Z camera. Second choice would be a compact camera with a 1" sensor like the Lumix or Canon G series cameras where they have an integrated zoom lens and provide Raw file capture.

-- hide signature --

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government to save the environment." Ansel Adams

ARClark's gear list:ARClark's gear list
Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +14 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
NCB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow