Good "travel zoom" for Nikon DX Cameras?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
OP sirhawkeye64 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,474
Re: Good "travel zoom" for Nikon DX Cameras?

calson wrote:

A D500 is a poor choice as a backup camera for a Z camera or even a FX camera for that matter. When I traveled with a new D850 and my D500 I came to realize that if the D850 had any problems the D500 was not a good backup camera with its DX sensor. I sold the D500 and bought a second D850 camera.

With a Z camera the best backup is another Z camera. Second choice would be a compact camera with a 1" sensor like the Lumix or Canon G series cameras where they have an integrated zoom lens and provide Raw file capture.

The reason I was considering (no longer am) a D500 was it would be my wildlife camera, but also serve as a backup to my Z camera.  I've since decided (at least for now) not to get a D500.

I might just also wait and see what firmware updates Nikon has for the Z7 II in terms of AF improvements.  I alraedy have 2 Z cameras (originally when I made the post, I was going to only have one, but decided to keep one and trade one instead of trading both for one new one).

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z5 Nikon Z7 II GoPro Hero8 Black +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
NCB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow