**Celebrating ‘Pinhead’ Sensor Bridge Cameras**

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle Contributing Member • Posts: 660
Re: Panasonic DMC-FZ40

Ainisru wrote:

There are times when I wish I did not know anything about sensor size and staring at charts and graphs. Photography is one of the few creative outlets I find myself being able to show passion/love of something. I started my photography on the 1/2.3" sensor and it will hold a special place in my heart.

What I like about small sensor sizes is how it pushes you to maximize what the form factor and your input in creating the images. I been looking at some modern pictures and seeing how well the new technologies have made 1/2.3" even better that previously.

Unfortunately what pushed me out is that I find myself taking a lot of indoor or evening-night pictures and the dissatisfaction crept up.

I own & use 3 cameras for just those reasons.

• For daylight use at our bird feeders, I have a Canon SX720HS with a long reach. Its tiny size also allows me to stick it in a jacket pocket. Cost: $400 with extra batteries. Today, I'd likely buy a fancy cell phone to replace this + my plain cell phone.
  • For daylight walking around, I use a ZS70. It may be my most used camera. It fits in an old film era carry bag with some extra batteries. Cost: <$250 with extra batteries. Not yet replaceable by a fancy cell phone.
  • For low light, difficult shots, etc. I use an E-M10 ii. ILC systems can do a lot of stuff. The bag also weighs 5 kilos or so. Cost: $1100-ish w/ 4 lenses, two extension tubes, 2 lens adapters & (...wait for it...) extra batteries. 😁

The ZS70 cost the least & does the most shooting, yet I bought it on a lark. It was $211 from Amazon Warehouse.

Jack Tingle's gear list:Jack Tingle's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX720 HS Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS70 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow